Wednesday, August 17, 2011

For the Ladies

Last week I published a shameless, patronizing post.

I'm ashamed.

But it was for a good cause...

...and allure attracts. Sex sells.

And the good folks at Victoria's Secret know it:
Women make up the majority of the company’s executives—they represent two-thirds of those tuning in to their fashion shows, and they account for a whopping 98% of the company’s customer base. This is their audience, plain and simple. It’s no coincidence that two of the most high-profile Angels in its short history are women other women don’t, as a rule, dislike: Tyra Banks and Heidi Klum. Both are charming and down-to-earth models who aren’t bitchy about their beauty...

...men aren’t entirely disregarded, but according to Ed Razek, Victoria’s Secret doesn’t “do salacious shots that women would not like.”
As I've written before, Ed's a genius.

So, based on this logic, my post...while intended for the guys...was really for the ladies!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...

All kidding aside, let's talk about the ladies...

One in Three


Yep. It's better than us guys (1 in 2), but still. That's quite a number.

One of every three women will be affected by cancer.

And the incidence trends are worth noting:
Cancers on the increase in women include leukemia, lung cancer, melanoma, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, and thyroid cancer, which began to increase sharply during the early 1980s. The increase in thyroid cancer in women is "particularly notable"....

Ovarian cancer began to decline in 1985 and has continued to decline to 2003, and the incidence of breast cancer has shown a "recent stabilization and possible decline"....

"Save the Boobies" indeed...
[A] detailed examination of breast cancer incidence shows stable rates in the most recent time period (2001-2003), preceded by a deceleration in the rate of increase since about 1987.

Even so:

Worldwide, breast cancer comprises 22.9% of all cancers (excluding non-melanoma skin cancers) in women. In 2008, breast cancer caused 458,503 deaths worldwide (13.7% of cancer deaths in women).

So, Why Is This "For the Ladies"?


Please help me raise $4000 to help END CANCER!

Donate to Pelotonia
at my rider page
.

  • 100% OF EVERY DOLLAR
    raised goes directly to life-saving cancer research!
  • DOLLAR MATCH, TOO!
    Every dollar you contribute will be matched by The Limited Brands! I will be wearing their colors proudly!

You caught me. It's more "about the ladies".

We all know what motivates guys. So I directed a post at them. It was a bit of adolescent fun.

Women are motivated...differently.

To that end, I happily will share this with you: I adore my wife.

I'll repeat that. I ADORE MY WIFE!

BCB is absolutely the light of my days. We're in our 14th year of marriage, and my passion for her has never waned. She completes me, teaching and nurturing and...simply being.

And the thought of her developing cancer crushes me.

She deserves better. She deserves to live a life without that suffering.

Cancer strikes at us all. Let's do something to end it.

Author's Note: It's late, and I'm feeling a bit mushy.
Three songs..special to me, that remind me of my beloved...


This one's about meeting her...



This one describes what she is to me...



This one expresses the way she affects me...



No comments:

Post a Comment