Tuesday, June 3, 2008

About

I am a husband.

I am a father.

I am a son.

I am a cyclist.

I am a cancer survivor.

I am a myriad of things.

I am one of you.

I RIDE TO LIVE

Riding is my therapy. It is my happy place. Riding makes me feel vital. Riding makes me feel virile.

Riding makes me feel alive.

On my bike I have wept for joy.

On my bike I have wept from suffering.

I have whooped with delight.

I have screamed my angst.

I RIDE TO BE ME

On my bike I learn my truths.

I pray to the Divine; and I hear It answer.

I dive deep within, and I emerge enriched.

MY STORY IS TYPICAL

In July 2006 I was diagnosed with testicular cancer (nonseminoma Stage IIB) the day before my 38th birthday. Two surgeries proved successful, and I am here today as a survivor.

NO ONE EXPECTS CANCER

We live our lives. When I was diagnosed, my youngest daughter was five months old and I had just started a new job. I never expected cancer.

IT CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE

Consider:
  • 1.4 million Americans are expected to be diagnosed with cancer this year.
  • 560,000 Americans are expected to die from cancer this year, or more than 1,500 per day.
  • Nearly 1 in 2 men and 1 in 3 women will develop cancer during their lifetime.
Chances are, you will be affected; 3 out of 4 families will help care for a family member with cancer.

THERE IS HOPE

More than 10 million cancer survivors live in the United States today.

I am one of them.