Saturday, June 6, 2009

When a bRIDEsmaid...

I got stood up this morrow. The parties shall remain nameless. We will simply refer to them as "slackers".

After a 25-minute ride up to the rendezvous, I spent quality time with my various personalities and several crickets. Then I checked my email (love that cell phone!), learned that I was on my own, and I began to follow plan "B".

The problem was, I had no plan "B".

So, I backtracked to my water depot at Maple Lawn, considering my options. It was a beautiful morning. Cool temperatures, slightly overcast, and enough recent rain to keep people in their houses (out of their cars and off the streets). It was also 0730 on a Saturday, so little traffic was to be seen.

Rather than picking one of my usual routes, I mixed it up. I decided to start the usual Tridelphia Mill Road loop, and tack on the Sharp Road route out to Larriland Farm. I did not know what the mileage was going to be, but I figured that I would have enough miles upon my return to only need an additional loop to get my target mileage.

The ride was pleasant, but I had no "pop". My legs would turn over, but I never had anything like explosive bursts for hills or sprints. I don't know if it was my lower-GI issues in the early morning, or something I ate in the morning, but I had no there there. It was not a slog, but I was not dancing on the pedals either.

In the end I got my 70 miles in about 4 hours. I might have had another five miles in my legs. After that, I would have bonked.

It looks like I need to up the mileage during the week. The plan is Tuesday morning spin class and afternoon group ride, and Thursday morning Tridelphia loops. Then hit it hard on Saturday morning.

So, the bridesmaid went solo, and made it through the day. As the song goes: "anger is an energy!"

71.59 Miles
4:05:54
17.4 mph average

Consumed
2 Gu
2 Accelerade (one scoop per 24 oz)
4 bottles total

No comments:

Post a Comment