Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Group Ride Gone Good

Sometimes you perform better than you expect.

On Tuesday's group ride I was shagged-out as usual by the workday. I also was carbo-tired, having indulged in some brownies and pretzels during the afternoon. Seriously, one day I will learn...

We had a group of 11 riders in the "fast group". As usual, I tried to stay near the front. I am not thrilled to be in the rear of the group. The accordion effect drives me to distraction, and I never feel that I am in rhythm.

I led up the Old Columbia Road hill. At the false flat I slowed, only to be passed by a duo who dusted me. i know better than that. Like Harriot Tubman, the hill is not over until it is over. I failed to practice the way I play, and I was embarrassed by it.

At the Hall Shop sprint I went with Little Mike. I don't know if he let up, or if I truly overtook him, but I passed him at 37 mph and still had legs. That felt good, considering that he is easily the strongest rider on the flats.

On the climb up Harriet Tubman, I was passed by one rider who (I love to note) weighs around 150 lbs. He did what I did on Old Columbia--slowed near the top. I flew past him until I got to my designated marker at the school entrance.

Then, once we crossed onto Stevens Forest, Darrell and I led out and were a solid 1/4 mile ahead until the headwind hit us. I enjoyed being one of the old guys in the lead--even though we were overtaken.

Finally, on the run into the shop along Oakland Mills, we had another stop light start, and I was able to go with the sprinters. Near the end I had a solid sprint, and then got passed after 150-200 yards. Again, the legs and the heart were stronger than I expected.

In the final analysis, I think I am well-positioned to do some racing this year. I will probably get dropped from timidity and unfamiliarity the first race, but I think I could hang with the Cat 5 pack.

Not bad for a 40-year-old novice.

No comments:

Post a Comment