Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Cervelo S1 Test Ride (Anticipation!)


Like the old ketchup ad, anticipation is upon me.
I am looking for a bike to race. Cecilia (my fat-bottomed Italian) has treated me well, but she is a bit too soft for crits, and I am not likely to set her up as a time-trial bike for triathlons.

Enter the Cervelo S1.

I have been reading about these bikes for some time, with keening interest.


What I like:

  • New geometry (relative to my Bianchi)
  • Racing pedigree
  • Can be either a road racer or a tri bike
  • Relatively inexpensive (frame, fork, post, headset for ~$1,200)

What concerns me:
  • Ride quality
    What will it be like going from 15-year-old steel to modern aluminum?
  • Setup
    How will my Chorus groupset and Shamal wheels interact with the frame? This is nothing I can test ride
  • Total cost
    I have the groupo and wheels, but I will need to get a stem and bars.

I need to get 85 miles this Saturday as part of my century training. I plan to ride it on the Cervelo. Doing so will let me evaluate it completely--climbs, descents, sprints, cruising, and spinning.

I can't wait. The anticipation is slow-good!

1 comment:

  1. there is a web on the internet where there are nice bikes and relatively cheap. But I can´t remember it. Anyways..this one looks great

    ReplyDelete