Monday, June 1, 2009

Novara Ponderosa 29er (2009) Review





Background


I am a roadie, but I had been searching for a bike that I could ride on trails, through mud and over rocks on those days when I need to get my ya-ya's out (as my beautiful bride would say). You know, those days when for whatever reason you can't (or won't) get out on the road, but you need to ride...and ride hard.

I had been using my beautiful bride's bike, but one particularly nasty, rainy, cold, and muddy day I realized that I was one step away from destroying her ride. I was making too many demands of the drivetrain and the frame as I clunked down various horse trails. My marriage is too important to me.

So, with my 40th birthday present still to be received (months later...long story...), I started looking around at used bikes on Craigslist, eBay, and my LBSs. I quickly realized that I was looking in the $700 to $800 range for a bike to fit my modest desires:
  • Proper size
  • Hardtail
  • Decent components
  • Built to last
I had been hearing about and reading about 29ers, and the concept made sense to me:
  • Bigger wheels make for easier management of obstacles
  • When up to speed, they maintain speed
  • Easily converted into commuter bike (that behaves like a road bike)
So, I was browsing through my local REI and looking at bikes and prices during the spring member sale. Translation: 20% off ticket price of bikes. Suddenly, those $1,000-range bikes became in my range, and I started really looking.

And I bought one.

Review





Specs



PartDescription
FrameAluminum
ForkRockShox Dart 3 29'' w/ lockout
CranksetTruvativ Firex 3.1 44/32/22
Bottom bracketTruvativ Giga Pipe
ShiftersSRAM X-7
Front derailleurSRAM X-7
Rear derailleurSRAM X-7
Rear cogsSRAM PG-950 11/34, 9-speed
BrakesAvid BB7 Disc
Brake leversAvid FR 5
RimsWTB SpeedDisc All Mountain
Front hubShimano M475 Disc
Rear hubShimano M475 Disc
TiresWTB Prowler MX 29x2.1"
HandlebarTruvativ Stylo SL 31.8mm
StemTruvativ XR 3D
Seat postTruvativ XR
SaddleWTB Pure V Race
PedalsAlloy platform
HeadsetIntegrated semi-cartridge
ChainSRAM PC 951

1 comment: