Thursday, August 1, 2013

Appreciation: Why I Ride Pelotonia


Please help me raise $2,200
to help END CANCER!

Donate to Pelotonia
at my rider page
.

  • 100% OF EVERY DOLLAR
    raised goes directly to life-saving cancer research!
  • DOLLAR MATCH, TOO!
    Every dollar you contribute will be matched by The Limited Brands! I will be wearing their colors proudly!
I ride because I'm here.

I appreciate that.

I ride because others aren't here.

That makes me appreciate being here even more.

I'm a survivor.

I take survivorship seriously.

I've written about it before, writing about "Stage T". I defined it thusly:
Stage T cancer is when you are living with purpose—mindfully, consciously. It is when you are making real the promise of your renewed life.
I've had a brutal year. BCB is no longer in my life. I'm on another odyssey as I write this. It's...challenging. My heart has been broken; but my spirit is intact.

I have my Little Angels.

And I appreciate every day I have with them.

And every hour.

And each minute.

Honestly, no one lives that way. I'm not that mindful. But I am conscious.

I watch them grow. I see the light in their eyes. I hear them laugh, and cry, and argue, and sing. I catch the scent of their hair. I touch their cheeks. I kiss them goodnight.

And I appreciate that I can.

I look in the mirror. I see the scars. I glimpse the grey. The crow's feet deepen around my eyes. I see it.

And I appreciate that I can.

I sometimes don't want to ride my bike. I'm tired. Power is weak. Recovery is harder. My knees ache. My shoulder throbs. Yet, I do ride.

And I appreciate that I can.

It's August; it's Pelotonia. It's time to raise money.

And I appreciate that I can.

I ride because I'm here.

I appreciate that.

And I hope you will help me to raise money for life-saving cancer research.

No comments:

Post a Comment