Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Musings on Why I Shave (Or, Jens Voigt Is a Hard Man )

2010 Paris-Nice, Stage 3: Jens Voigt takes the yellow jersey, symbolizing his lead in this important early-season test...

Meh.

Jens Voigt is happy in yellow⇒


Stage 3, 2010 Paris-Nice: Jens Voigt, victim of a devastating, stomach-churning, oh-my-god-how-did-he-survive-that crash in the 2009 Tour de France, takes the yellow jersey—symbolizing his lead in this important early-season test—completing his return to professional racing.

Wow!

Hard Men

Sure, cyclists look like peacocks in their brightly-colored, skin-tight clothing. Yes, they shave their legs.

But if you ever thought that cyclists were wimps, consider Jens.

Ouch

Last July he face-planted on a descent during The Tour. He skidded on his nose and cheek at more than 40 mph. He lost consciousness for several minutes as rescuers stabilized him, waiting for an emergency helicopter.

Today, he is moving and shaking up the peloton at the ripe age of 38. He did not win Paris-Nice, but he served notice that he will be in the mix, supporting Andy Schlek in the 2010 tour.

Vinnie Jones, ya got nuthin'!

Road Rash

Recently, I was asked : "why do cyclists shave their legs?"

I cannot answer for others; but for me, I shave because of road rash.

Crashing is a part of your life as a cyclist. You will fall. Accept it.

I'm sure the umbrella had nothing to do with it...

In 2009 I had two significant crashes. The first was in March. It tore the skin from a 6-in. x 6-in. patch on my right hip. A year later, my hip is still purple from the scar. The second was in June. It sliced a 4-in. x 4-in hole into my left hip. A year later? Not-so purple.

The difference? Shaving.

Shaving

My legs were fabulously furry when I crashed in March. It was too early in the season, I told myself.

After a month of pulling bandages off that road rash, I was ready to shave. The wound hurt; the healing was excruciating. And the effing tape was a tear-jerker (literally!).

So, I discovered the wonders of Nair for Men.

In a future post I will regale you with the wonders of "shaving"

Fast-forward.

When I crashed in June, my legs were sleek, smooth, and well-moisturized. When I hit the deck, I slid. No hair gripped the road. And when it came time to bandage and recover, everything was easier. I healed faster, and there was less scarring.

Thus, the question is answered:
  • It's not for looks.
  • It's not for aerodynamics.
  • It's not fetishistic.
I shave to save my skin!

No comments:

Post a Comment