Thursday, July 22, 2010

I Have a Man-Crush! (Jens Voigt Is a Hard Man, Part II)

I posted in March about Jens Voigt's amazing comeback from a devastating crash in the 2009 Tour.

He's a fan favorite and one of cycling's most respected elder statesman.

And he's back.

Another crash. Another recovery. He's gained, er, perspective.



"Last year it was at this time of the race I was in hospital already. At this time I'm still on my bike. Didn't crash on my head, didn't crash on my face, so things could be worse."

Ah, and a little more here:

"I vas cart-veeling through the air at 60K, hitting my arms and legs. I realized everything was still attached, though, so I figured, vhy not ride on?"

How can you not love this guy?

Man-Crush!

He's tough, determined, and straightforward. He's the consummate teammate. He's a veteran, with tens of thousands of race miles in his legs and more hours of race-time than most will ever achieve in their careers.

He's wise, grizzled, and...he's funny!

Here are a few samples of the wisdom of Jens Voigt:
  • On his control of mind over body:



"Shut up body, do what I tell you!"
  • Jens on cycling fans:


"People with other people in wheelchairs, they keep them in front of them, to give them a better view. Then, they see us coming...panic...jumping back...and leave the poor person out there. I see it every day...every day!"
  • Jens on loyalty:


"My loyalty belongs to my team, my leader, and my boss."

Chapeau Jens Voigt!

No comments:

Post a Comment