Tuesday, April 6, 2010

What's Your Excuse?

It's been a country-music-lyric kind of bad day...
  • I missed my bus.
  • I spilled my coffee on my pants.
  • My boss sent me an email to tell me that he thinks I'm lazy.
  • Now that's a bad day →
  • My computer locked up just before my presentation to the board (remember the coffee on my pants?).
  • I called the CEO "Honey".
  • I dropped my cell phone down the stairs as I rushed for the...
  • I missed my bus.
  • I sat pressed next to a smelly person on the next (non-air-conditioned) bus.
But when you apply a little perspective, it's all just silly-twaddle.

The Dude's Blind!

His name is Matt Gilman. He lost his sight to the ravages of diabetes. He rides bikes.



He's a trials rider. (AKA "mountain bike trials". It's a cycling discipline in which the rider attempts to pass through an obstacle course without setting foot to ground. It's a bit like pogo-stick on wheels. It's an extreme test of bicycle handling skills, over all kinds of obstacles, both natural and man-made.)

So, What Is Your Excuse?

Can you imagine how frightening (in a primal, bone-quaking kind of way) it must be to steer and hop your bike on to and off of objects you can't see?

You have that kind of courage in you, too.

When you think you're having a bad day, think about Matt. He conquers his fear. You can conquer your day.

The rest? It's just silly-twaddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment