Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Spectacular Spring (and the Joys of Zyrtec)

My Saturday ride through the rolling hills of the Columbia Triathlon course was...spectacular. Trees were blooming, birds were singing, the sky was blue, and I was wheezing.

It's remarkably difficult to appreciate the beauty around you when your eyes are rimmed red, your hoarse throat warbles, your nose drips, and you keep sneezing.

I know that my sinus's trumpet blasts scared spring foals and baby birds all across the county.

To them all, I apologize.

I will now hype-myself up on Zyrtec

With that humiliation behind me, I must report that the Columbia Tri bike leg is perfect for me. I will be competing in this year's event (for my first triathlon), and I wanted an early view of the parcourse. I am familiar with several of the key hills, and it has the undulating profile I love. It's not up, it's not down. It's sawtooth.

The see-saw profile is perfect for my riding style, and it should minimize
my "I don't own a triathlon-specific bike" handicap.

After riding uphill (and then downhill) for miles in California, I am confident in my climbing ability. Two miles of climbing at a 5-6% grade taught me that a half-mile at 8% is just a sprint. As I have written before, I am neither gazelle nor greyhound. What I do have is a strong motor. (Which goes a long way toward explaining the Johnny Cash playlist that's always in my head...) It's simply a matter of finding the right gear, revving the engine, and going.

The Man in Black rides on...


I'm looking forward to the event. My current plan? Tolerate the swim, rock the bike, and survive the run.

Oh, and finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment