Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My Team (Or, Why I Joined Adventures for the Cure)

2009 was a great year on the bike. After (literally) years of prevarication about my riding, my January shoulder surgery helped me focus on discreet goals. Something deep within me was re-awakened.

I rode the Five Boroughs Tour, the Long Island Harbors Century, Pelotonia, and my first cyclocross races (Schooley Mill 'Cross and Reston).

Seeking

During the second half of the year I was looking for a team. I wanted to race more with each passing week. My long-dormant competitiveness was awakening, and I believed I needed some guidance and structure to support me.

I knew I wanted three things from a team:
  1. Experienced riders (and racers) from whom I could learn.
  2. Opportunities for group training.
  3. Philanthropy.
I spoke with a score of riders from all over the Washington, DC region. I learned about the Squadra Coppi squad in Virginia, Route One Velo, Team BBC, Club Kelley Benefit Strategies, and others. All have merits. Ultimately, there really was no choice: it had to be AFC.

Why AFC?

AFC met all my criteria, with the added bonus that everyone associated with the team (who I had met) was, well, nice.

1. Experienced riders (and racers) from whom I could learn.

The two team founders are veterans of Race Across America. In 2008 they completed it on fixies. In 2009 they won the two-man team competition. (RAAM is a wild and crazy ambition for me. More on that some other time.)

One of the founders, Adam the Machine,was just promoted to Category 1 for cyclocross—that new and wonderful discovery.

Sure, he's dreamy...but on the bike he can kick your arse
without so much as a grunt. No. Really. He can.

From what I have been told, AFC is not a hardcore road-racing team. It is mostly cyclocross and mountain-focused. This is an opportunity. Not only do I get exposure to new and exciting things, but I can hp grow road racing within AFC.

2. Opportunities for group training.

One of my big lessons from 2009 is that riding alone has its merits; riding with others is a pleasure; and riding in a group can be a blast.

I loved going to my Tuesday night group rides. It was the one evening each week that I had to do what I wanted, so I took advantage.

O, to have mountains like that near our group rides...

AFC is based near Ellicott City. While not my backyard, it is within my riding radius, so it is local enough. And central to AFC is the Google Group and its mail lists. Being able to send a simple email to reach out to scores of riders, scheduling rides last-minute, is a huge bonus.

There is also a fabulous opportunity to take part in group coaching. Nifty!

3. Philanthropy

I am a cancer survivor, yadda yadda.

I know most people are uninterested in this fact. Nevertheless, it is a driver for me.

Me. My Bike. My Cause. Any questions?

Put me in the category of those who want to do something good for my cause, and who see their (my) activity as a method of bringing focus to it.

I am no noeticist, but I do believe that collective awareness begets action. the result of this belief is that I happily add my voice to the chorus of cancer-haters. I delight in efforts and activities that help raise both money and awareness of anti-cancer causes.

AFC is not focused on cancer, but they do require all members to perform charity work. This laudable requirement is a huge attractor for me. Selfishly, I hope to leverage AFC for my unselfish goals (Does that make me a bad person?). I also hope to learn from them. Fund raising is not a native skill, it's a learned process, and I have a lot to learn.

Decision Made

It's done. I made my decision at Schooley Mill.

I am in the honeymoon stage. I raced my first race while resplendent in AFC colors. I've joined the group/team coaching, and I attended the red-and-white party (taking the advantage of meeting some of the folks). The mail lists are active, but not cumbersome. And it is clear that Adam the Machine and Patrick the Competent care.

Awwww...

And that's really the point, no?

You choose your alliances. Sometimes it's Machiavellian. Sometimes it's charitable, but it is always a choice.

I choose AFC.

P.S. Oh, and the polka dots help!

No comments:

Post a Comment