Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Lactate Threshold Heart Rate Test (Part II) Results and Reflections

In Part I I described my preparations and mindset, as well as the logistics behind the test. This (Part II) will be the template I will use for reporting my future tests.

Baseline Data


ConditionComments
HealthGoodNo issues
RestGoodNot great sleep, but not tired
NutritionGoodOatmeal/eggs/coffee standard breakfast
HydrationGoodSipping water all morning. No "sport" drinks


My Results


Date01/24/2010
Time1030
Age41
Height5'10"
Weight177
LTHR174
Previous LTHRN/A
% ChangeN/A

  • My result was an average heart rate (HR) of 174 beats per minute (BPM).
  • There was no change from previous results (as there were no previous results).
  • Based on the results, my current training zones are...

My Zones


Lactate Threshold heart Rate = 174
ZonePurposeBPM
1Recovery114-142
2Aerobic143-155
3Tempo156-162
4Sub Threshold163-173
5aSuper Threshold174-177
5bAerobic Capacity178-183
5cAnaerobic Capacity184-190

Reflections

On the test...
  • I need a solid 20-30 minutes to warm up.
  • I could have done better. I feel like I had another 5 minutes left in the tank. I need to figure out how to bring those 5 minutes forward.
  • Hydrating throughout is a key.
  • Video + iPod combo worked well.
  • I am delighted to have a benchmark.
On what the results mean...
  • I don't know.
    • Am I in average shape for someone my age?
    • Is it realistic to expect to be competitive this year?
  • I was doing my Zone 2 training at too low a level. I was staying below 144, which is technically my recovery zone. Not good.
  • I am beginning a long journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment