Friday, January 9, 2015

Bucket List #1: Cyclocross Nationals

I have a bucket list.

Aren’t you special? Don't we all?

I dunno. Maybe. It's a new thing to me. I started writing mine a year ago.

You keep writing that: "A year ago..." Get over it already!

It’s yesterday, to me.

It’s 360-something days…

To you. Not to me.

Sigh.

I know. I get it.

But it’s still with me—in what I remember and in what I don’t.

I remember little about Christmas 2013. I do remember the overwhelming kindness of friends; I don’t remember my children.

I don’t remember the start of 2014. New Year’s must have happened. I was…somewhere. But, I have no memories. None. None at all.

I don’t remember going into the hospital for my fourth cycle. But, I do remember overwhelming sickness. I remember groking what it meant to be “debased”. And, I remember not caring.

I remember the battle. I remember fighting. And, I remember feeling that I was losing.

And, I remember hope.

- - -

I first heard "bucket list" a few years ago. Maybe it’s a thing for people of a certain age. You cross 40, and suddenly you consider your bucket. Or, the kicking of it. I've never heard anyone talk about the bucket itself. Is it half-empty or half-full? Why does no one care? Shouldn’t we care more for our bucket?

(I prefer a towel to a bucket any day. Always know where your towel is. But I digress from my digression…)

I don't think of my bucket list as a collection of things I need to do before I die. To me it's more of an ambition list.

It’s not filled with audacious unattainables, like "I will climb the Seven Summits wearing only a loincloth, descending each on my arse whilst playing the viola."

Though that sounds like fun.

(In fairness, it does have "I will dive under the ice in Antarctica." But as a former SCUBA instructor, that feels less audacious than it seems at first read.)

No, it’s more of a list of things that make me happy.

That give me hope.

Some are all about the journey, like my list of athletically-focused things I WILL do. The struggle without and within—that’s what matters. They make me happy, even as they shatter me.

Other things give me joy.

- - -

I’m joyful when I see good people living their dreams.

Jeremy Powers is one of those people.

When I shared time with him last fall, J-Pow said something to me that stuck. It stuck hard, and it stuck fast, and it’s with me every day.

I was in the middle of my decision process. I was between hospital travels, and I was struggling. I briefed him on my situation, and when I finished outlining my process he nodded and said. “Exactly. You make your decision, and you live it.”

He said it with emphasis and enthusiasm, with an engaging smile. He radiated optimism.

“…and you live it.”

He was talking about committing to a path. About not looking back. About Living.

Not living. ..Living.

He was the right person at the right time to deliver a message I needed to hear.

- - -

I'm posting this from Austin, TX; I'm here to see the U.S. Cyclocross National Championships.

It was a hospital promise to me.

I made that promise. To me. A pinky promise.

And that promise was a touchstone through this long recovery year.

It got me out of some deep, deep holes.

And here I am.

Goddamn it. HERE I AM!

I still have nightmares.

But I'm not dead yet.

I’ve made my decision; I plan on living.

So should you.

What will be will be what will be.

I’ve got this.

No comments:

Post a Comment